My Favourite Healthy Food Discoveries


Hi everyone! Today I thought I'd do another health post, and this time my favourite healthy food discoveries. I'm more thinking single foods, rather than full meals, and I'm talking foods I've only really discovered since making a more conscious effort to be healthy, rather than just all healthy foods in general - if that makes sense! I'm going to list some of the nutritional benefits of each food too so you can see how they'll benefit your diet. 
Chia seeds
- High in protein and fibre
- High in antioxidants and Omega 3 fatty acids
- Can improve fitness performance in a similar way to an energy drink 
I love having chia seeds in my overnight oats, or throwing them into smoothies. You can also make chia seed pudding which is a fantastic healthy breakfast full of protein
Medjool dates
- Regulates blood pressure due to high amounts of potassium and magnesium
- They contain more potassium than bananas, which helps to improve muscle tone
- They are rich in fibre, so keep you fuller for longer
Medjool dates are probably my favourite healthy food discovery. I first heard of them from Deliciously Ella and thought I'd give them a go. They are so sweet and gooey, they taste almond like caramel. I like pairing these with almond butter for a sweet afternoon pick me up. They also stop me craving any bad sugars! 
Almond butter
- Good source of protein
- Contains Vitamin E, Magnesium and Iron
- Contains more vitamins and minerals than any other nut!
I mentioned this above to eat with the medjool dates, but I also love almond butter on pretty much any fruit: bananas, apples etc. I love having some almond butter on a wholegrain rice cake then topping it with banana.
Nuts and seeds
- High in monounsaturated fats - the good fats!
- Stabilise blood sugar levels
- Contains Omega 3s and magnesium - and can prevent migraines!
I thought I'd group all of these together so this post doesn't get too long! I love flaked almonds on my porridge/breakfasts, pumpkin seeds to top my avocado and toast, walnuts as a post workout snack, and flaxseeds to add to smoothies or to top my breakfasts. 
Camomile Tea
- Can help to calm you if you feel anxious or stressed
- Boosts immune system
- Can soothe digestive pains or discomfort
I have liked drinking green tea for a while now, but only recently discovered camomile tea. After having some problems sleeping, I tried this and it has definitely become part of my nightly routine. It's definitely easier to get used to than green tea, and has a slightly sweet taste which helps to stop sugar cravings! I just drink one mug of this every night and it definitely helps me feel ready for bed. 

I have so many more favourite healthy foods but I thought these were enough for now - maybe I'll do a part 2?! Let me know what your favourite healthy foods are below! 

Comments

Popular Posts